Tuesday, May 29

D&AD side note.

This year was somehow difficult. And, though I am not the one to judge, the outcome of this years D&AD Global Awards is somehow disappointing. Not in all categories. The commercials for Skittles for example are brilliant and therefore deserve a pencil. But the poster category was slightly disturbing. In the next to pictures there is one winning poster hidden and one who did not. Unfortunately it's the "St. Wayne" billboard for Nike, made by the folks at Wieden+Kennedy London, that did not get a pencil. Not even a nomination. That's a decision I simply couldn't understand or, to put it in a rather adequate way, pissed me off that much that for one second I thought about quitting (don't worry about the money, I've just renewed my membership). It was the best poster that has seen the shiny sunlight of 2006. Brilliant execution, great idea. All for nothing. And then I see this. Worth a yellow pencil. That's a poster I argued about with someone before. He thought it is a simple and nice idea. I though it looks like the entrant for some photoshop contest on Worth1000.com. And as much as I try, I still don't like it. Not the idea, not the art direction. But maybe it's because Wieden+Kennedy did a brilliant piece of work for one of their clients and I still can't find LEGO on the client list of the agency behind that poster. Is it because it was done for award reasons only? I don't know. Maybe I simply don't like it. Anyway if the judges at D&AD decided that "St. Wayne" wasn't even worth a nomination and LEGO was, they will have their pros and cons. From my point of view it's disappointing. D&AD always has been the award with the best judged work worldwide and hopefully always will be. But this year, I am counting on the guys and dolls in Cannes to do it better than some of their colleagues in London. Nothing more, nothing less. Thanks for the attention.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

seb, i agree, st. wayne is missing in the poster category. it was nominated though, in the category if photography (misplaced I'd say). And I like the LEGO poster from JvM, it's very good, but not AS good as the wayne one. But the other posters were even worst nominated one.

4:21 pm, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Seb said...

sure it's a good poster. though I've heard rumours that the picture is from stock and the only thing JvM did was to find a client and add the logo. anyway that "st. wayne" passed the D&AD without any award is really disappointing and I simply can't understand that other ads while being less creative and well executed come home with a pencil.

5:27 pm, May 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whats so great about the wayne poster?

U suck up too much.

11:13 pm, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Seb said...

great idea under the roof of "just do it" just in time for the 2006 worldcup, brilliant execution, no spec work, wayne rooney. by the way this text was not a praisal of st. wayne but about a not so good poster winning a pencil and a much better poster winning nothing.

no need to suck up, Mr. I have stuff to say but I am too much of a coward to do it not anonymous. cheers.

11:34 pm, May 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/classes/FrameSet.aspx?&UQR=yhhhoi&pk=4&source=front&lightboxView=1&txtSearch=failkure&selImageType=7&chkLicensed=on&chkRoyaltyFree=on&chkNLM=on


Here's the stock image from getty. I found it searching for a mood board of images under the word "Failure" which is, as W+K proudly maintains, the corporate mantra. Me thinks someone found the image and added a logo. Why is the W+K London office always doing this? The Portland and Amsterdam offices are genuinely creative but the London one seems to copy and paste too much.

2:31 pm, June 09, 2007  
Blogger Seb said...

I am sorry Ryan, but the link doesn't work. What picture do you mean, there are about 3800 when I type in "failure"...

1:49 pm, June 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home