Thursday, May 17

Commercial of the Week: frosta.

The last commercials I presented were witty, emotional and well executed. Just the way it should be. But people, let's face it: most or nearly 95% of the commercials the poor consumer has to bear during a commercial break is really horrible. Crap that only has a chance to have a positive effect on sales if it gets hammered into the head of our lovely consumer by a media budget as big as Russia. One of this embarrasing commercials for frosta sprang to my mind while I was watching the final of the UEFA Cup. It's really daft crap. And if I only would have the telephone number and private address of the agency and client people in charge of something like that, I would post them. So that every single consumer who is taken for a fool with shit like that could ring their bell and then blow their horn. But have a look:

If the subtitle doesn't work that well, here is what they say.

Cook: Hello?
Woman: Peter, tell me why does frosta has this packaging?
Cook: For you to see the food.
Woman: And tell me why do you have this purity requirements?
Cook: I already have told you. Because we don't use flavou...
Woman: Peter...don't you want to come over?
Cook: Yeah. This fish is as fresh as I am randy!
Woman: More fish, Peter! More fish! Oh! Peter from frosta!

Godness, I love this dialogue. Superb written. Very subtle and Shakespeare-ish. "This fish is as fresh as I am RANDY!" Why never before somebody thought about advertise frozen food with a sentence as powerful and unique as this. But honestly, what is the consumer supposed to keep in mind? If I eat this frozen fish from frosta, Peter from frosta comes over, dirties my kitchen and shags my wife? Or maybe if I cook this fish a horny bitch from another dimension calls, asks stupid questions and then wants me to shag the hell out of her on the kitchen table? Er, hello people who take the responsibility for this sparkler in German TV advertising history...could you please tell me what you thought while doing rubbish like this?

Or am I wrong? Is this progressive and I just don't understand it. Can anybody help me?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend, I am 99,3% sure that this was running only once, late evening / night just to make it eligable for some award. But yes, this one is ridiculous!

11:05 am, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Lisa Breslin said...

This is hilarious, I can't believe it was even dreamed up, let alone broadcast. At least it got noticed i suppose, first time i've seen sex used to sell fish mind you.

12:56 pm, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Seb said...

Sorry to disappoint you, Val, but it's not a spec. I think they won't air it during UEFA Cup final if it's just for award reasons. And I downloaded it from AdVision and they don't have specs there. This is serious. No joke. This is a real commercial. Still can't believe it.

11:19 pm, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, with the truth now! You did it! eh?!

11:20 pm, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Seb said...

oh, mr anonymous fancy pants strikes again. i'm shivering.

9:50 am, May 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home